UI Elements

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Hering
Non-Subscriber

UI Elements

Post by Hering » Wed May 11, 2005 6:23 am

I found nothing in the wiki to do some basic inputs from outside a script like asking for a name to enter...

Is it possible to make any basic ui elements in an IS Script?
What i mean are simple Dialog windows that can hold some textinput fields and buttons to manipulate the running script without doing something with an ig addon that changes some variables that i can grasp in an IS Script...

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed May 11, 2005 10:07 am

Currently, no. Something like that may be added later though.

Basically, anything you want to be able to change in a script at runtime you need to put in a "global" variable, or have a method of contacting the script and using triggers to modify non-global variables.

For example, in EQ1 people regularly use the EQ chat channels to send commands to their script to change various things or cause it to do something. The script picks up on these with triggers (in MacroQuest they are called "events", same thing as triggers), and act accordingly.

Global variables on the other hand are set with the normal variable set commands or methods.

Usually you want to know as much as possible beforehand, and have a way of configuring the script. Waiting around for user input is far from desirable in most cases.

fippy
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by fippy » Thu May 12, 2005 8:08 am

If you are using ISXWOW there are a couple of Lua functions you can use.

for example ISData("${Me}"} will return your character name. YOu can also run commands using ISCommand e.g. ISCommand("echo ${me}") will echo your name to the console.

using these it would be possible to get a wow addon to work with IS script ina limited way.

Fippy