Newb Documentation - Question time!

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

JAFC
GamingTools Subscriber

Newb Documentation - Question time!

Post by JAFC » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:22 pm

Hola! Well, I'm one of the those who's willing to help out with the documentation. I'm in the perfect position to start Intro level docs since I just downloaded last night and am trying to figure out what it does and how (heh).

Lots of elements to add, always best to break things down step by step, so let's start with...

There are two Consoles. One accessed from the game (`) and one from the systray. What are the difference between the two?

Scripts: I saw the example script, shows the intuitive nature of the scripting language (I like it). How are scripts accessed in the game? Is there a menu? Triggered by a command line in console? (Advanced item: Can scripts call/execute other scripts? And return control to the original script?)

I didn't have any problems with my profiles (runnign EQ2) so I'll leave that section alone :)

HUD: How is the HUD modified? Accessed? I know the memory allocation in the upper left corner can be turned off thru a key-command... Is that coded in the HUD, or an independent item?

Apologies for all the questions, but this are a few things that went thru my mind in the first few minutes last night, so I figure its a starting point for the "Welcome to Inner Space, to get started..." section of Wiki :)

Jafc
(Just another freakin Crafter - EQ2)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:47 pm

:)
There are two Consoles. One accessed from the game (`) and one from the systray. What are the difference between the two?
The difference is simply that one is the main program, and the others are inside each game session. They are all independent of each other, so typing things in one console means nothing anywhere else, unless you are relaying a command to another session or to the uplink (uplink is just another name for the main program). Basically, the main program is a hub, which all sessions connect to.
Scripts: I saw the example script, shows the intuitive nature of the scripting language (I like it). How are scripts accessed in the game? Is there a menu? Triggered by a command line in console? (Advanced item: Can scripts call/execute other scripts? And return control to the original script?)
Pretty much everything is done through commands. If you have not yet done so, read through the lists here: [[LavishScript:Commands]], [[IS:Session#Commands]], [[IS:Uplink#Commands]]. The LavishScript list is available everywhere -- in Fury, in the IS uplink, and in IS sessions. Everything else simply adds on top of that. There may be some sort of menu in the future, but to run a script for now you enter a command in the console -- see [[Command:RunScript]]. Scripts can execute other scripts, but cannot return control to the original script without extra help. For example, you could RunScript from a script, and have it wait until a global variable is set to 1 or such. There's also meant to be a Top-Level Object for you to check to see if a script is running, which I will get around to adding ;) Instead, most of the time you will simply want to "include" a script that has no main function, using #include, which will simply be inserted in the script at that position. Then you'd just call its functions.
HUD: How is the HUD modified? Accessed? I know the memory allocation in the upper left corner can be turned off thru a key-command... Is that coded in the HUD, or an independent item?
Back to the commands here, the HUD is a system built into Inner Space, and there is a couple commands as well as the [[ISSession:hudelement_%28Data_Type%29|hudelement data type]] and [[ISSession:HUDElement_%28Top-Level_Object%29|HUDElement Top-Level Object]]. You can list hud elements, for example, by entering "HUD -list", or add with another switch of the [[ISSession:HUD_%28Command%29|HUD command]], and remove with another. The key ctrl+alt+m is a standard Inner Space bind, created with the bind command. The code for it is found in the PreInit.iss script in your Scripts folder:

Code: Select all

noparse alias showtexturemem hudadd TextureMem 20,35 "Texture Memory Available: ${Display.TextureMem}MB"
  alias hidetexturemem hudrem TextureMem
  noparse alias showsystemram hudadd SystemRAM 20,20 "System RAM Available: ${System.MemFree}MB/${System.MemTotal}MB"
  alias hidesystemram hudrem SystemRAM
  alias memoryindicatorON "varset memoryindicatorTOGGLE memoryindicatorOFF;showsystemram;showtexturemem"
  alias memoryindicatorOFF "varset memoryindicatorTOGGLE memoryindicatorON;hidesystemram;hidetexturemem"
  declare memoryindicatorTOGGLE string global memoryindicatorON
[color=red]  noparse bind memoryindicator CTRL+ALT+M "execute ${memoryindicatorTOGGLE}"[/color]

memoryindicatorON
So no, there's nothing of the sort built into the HUD, it's just trickery using the available commands :)

Don't apologize for asking questions, it is my job to make sure you know what you're doing, and if the information isn't there where you know where to find it, then you should ask!

Let me know if you have any other questions, and feel free to idle in our IRC channel.