Ok how to get started.

Discussion of Inner Space

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Ok how to get started.

Post by clanlanda » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:05 am

Ok, I have just download IS, and change the path for EQ1 to the new sony default . (Same as EQ2 ..\sony\everrquest).

Start the single profitle up and the patcher didnet run.

I was expecting to find a basic eq1 xml file that should the setting. Where do I find it ?

Is I read the manual, and think I understand the basic concept but any lost on how to start.

Clan Landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:22 am

Unless you change the executable to everquest.exe it wont patch EQ. The default is to run eqgame.exe with the patchme parameter, to skip the patcher.

As long as the path is correct it should have no problem starting EQ, it uses the same exact method for doing so that WinEQ and WinEQ 2 do. Double check it?

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:17 am

Ok downloaded the new version.

I changed the path to the same as in WinEQ2.

<Profile ID="2" Name="EverQuest Default Profile">
<Setting Name="path">c:\program files\sony\everquest</Setting>
<Setting Name="executable">everquest.exe</Setting>
<Setting Name="sound">1</Setting>
<Setting Name="game">EverQuest</Setting>
</Profile>

I would really like to try this but so far it has proved Clan Hostile.

I would really like to see something in the help file or be pointed to somewhere I can learn about getting started.

Clan Landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:21 pm

As of the last EQ patch, WinEQ and IS are unable to run the patcher for you. SOE changed the patcher a little bit, and it's currently unfriendly (though this is something we will work around soon, it's better to just not patch through WinEQ or IS for now).

Set it back to eqgame.exe with the patchme parameter and you should have absolutely no problem running it. The easiest way to do that is actually through the Games window, select EverQuest, then under Profiles, EverQuest Default Profiles.. then in the Launch category, set it there.

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:38 pm

Here is the profile now

<Profile ID="2" Name="EverQuest Default Profile">
<Setting Name="path">c:\program files\sony\everquest</Setting>
<Setting Name="executable">eqgame.exe</Setting>
<Setting Name="sound">1</Setting>
<Setting Name="game">EverQuest</Setting>
</Profile>

Run it , and get a message saying message box saying

Please Run Everquest.exe

Clan Landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Yep, it needs the patchme parameter. You can add this to your profile in the XML
<Setting Name="parameters">patchme</Setting>

I still recommend using the games window, though.

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks . I can not get to the character select screen. All be it the screen size was out of range.

Now for the next step. I understand the command language and the command structure.

I see mention of different iss files such as preinit and ismod. I also see indication that these are created on a clean install.

Ok I have done a couple of clean install , done a global search of my hard disc and the only iss files are in the the Raedon setup directory.

Where should I have found the *.iss files ? What onces should I have found ?

clan landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:42 pm

When the file GAMES.XML does not exist, the files PREINIT.ISS and AUTOEXEC.ISS are created in the "Scripts" folder under Inner Space. If the Scripts folder does not exist, the files will not be created. On a clean install with the current installer, they will be created when InnerSpace.exe is first run

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:56 pm

Sorry if I am seeming a little on the dense side. I want to use IS and think it will be great, just can not understand the simple starting points.

I am begining to feel like I did in my Real Analysis course when I was introduced to Measure theory on Borel Set. I could not find the handle of understanding.

Do you have a set of simple example files?

Do I need to delete the GAMES.XML file or should the default key binding be in the GAMES.XML file? I have not seen them there.

Clan Landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm

It's perfectly ok to have questions, the manual is far from complete and I'm actually switching it to wiki form. Wikis are basically a way for people to easily collaborate on writing, and they have a system of linking pages together in a much easier fashion. My hope is that some people will have questions, discover the answer, and then add or change information in the wiki so that others with the same question can have the answer presented to them. Certainly most people wont, but some people are more willing, and that's what I want :)

Anyway, you have a folder with Inner Space in it. If it was installed with an older installer, it will not automatically create subfolders, "Extensions" and "Scripts". If this is the case, the default WinEQ-like hotkeys will not exist, because PreInit.iss and AutoExec.iss get created in the "Scripts" folder when you run InnerSpace.exe if "Games.XML" does not exist. Games.XML only gets created when you run InnerSpace.exe, it does not get put there by the installer, nor does it get overwritten if you run InnerSpace.exe. If the "Scripts" folder does not exist, then PreInit.iss and AutoExec.iss do not get created. These two files are what set up the WinEQ-like settings.

You can take the following steps if you wish to ensure they get created:
1. Install Inner Space, with any version of the installer.
2. Navigate to the folder Inner Space was installed in
3. Check to ensure that it has two subfolders, "Scripts" and "Extensions". If it does not, create them
4. Run InnerSpace.exe -- this will generate Scripts\PreInit.iss, Scripts\AutoExec.iss, Games.XML and Profiles.XML
5. Choose either 5a or 5b
5a. Use the "Games" option of the IS menu to edit your EQ profile
or
5b. Close Inner Space and then edit Profiles.XML (as you have previously done) to set the path to EQ -- everything else in the profile and game settings can stay default -- and then run Inner Space again
6. Launch EQ. You should immediately see system memory and texture member indicators in the upper left corner of the window. Shift+alt+f should apply "Full screen emulation". Shift+alt+N should return it to normal. Shift+alt+T should apply "tiny" settings. Scroll Lock should release/capture the mouse. Ctrl+alt+X should switch to the next IS session, Ctrl+alt+Z should switch to the previous IS Session. Ctrl+alt+1 should bring up the 1st IS session, Ctrl+alt+2 should bring up the 2nd.

The default key bindings and such will be stored in PreInit.iss and AutoExec.iss. Once you get to this point, you can simply modify those files to change the keys. If you get to this point and want me to clarify anything for you, just ask and I'll help you out :)

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:52 am

Thanks ! I am in now and can start woking .

I wanted to play with some of the commands, so I went in game with a bard in a guild hall. ( Practice and learn at same time. )

So I opened the console window and tried to resize the window. All of the commands I typed in the conslole window were unknown. (windowsize, HUDlist, windowscale. ) Also the auto-completion didnt seem to work.

Clan Landa

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:59 am

Since I can not edit . I just learned there are two console.

There is one on the that is an external console and an INGAME console.

The ingame consol needs to have a binding to activate and does do auto complete etc.

Clan Landa

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:38 am

In a multi-session operation, I want the windows to start in diffent locations. So I creased to different PreInits,PreInit_landa, PreInit_Offset. These are in the scripts folder.

As part of the launch, I placed the these in the different profiles. However, the console log does not say there are being executed. Do I need to put a directory qualifiler in as well ?

Clan Landa

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:50 pm

Nope. When you run scripts or command files, the system does a search through a few directories, including the Scripts directory and the main Inner Space directory. If theyre not running, its got to be something else.

Also, if you want the windows to move to specific positions you should actually use AutoExec rather than PreInit -- PreInit is before the window is created, and AutoExec is after :)

The problem is probably that the PreInit option in your profile is expecting a command, not just a filename. Make it say "ExecuteFile PreInit_landa" or such, and it should work for you. You can of course add multiple commands simply by separating them with a ;, like "ExecuteFile PreInits;ExecuteFile PreInit_Landa". And I do recommend putting the window position in AutoExec instead. :)

Note: ExecuteFile runs .ice files, which simply contain commands to execute, without any "functions" etc. RunScript runs .iss files, which are scripts and contain "functions". You can use either.

clanlanda
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by clanlanda » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:08 am

Ok will do. I am assuming that I will then need a different autoexec for the various window positions or can I pass variables into the Autoexec to run with a switch.

Clan Landa