2.0 RC2 - Minor initial feedback

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

AnthonyB
Non-Subscriber

2.0 RC2 - Minor initial feedback

Post by AnthonyB » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:06 pm

Having just run up 2.0 RC2 I thought I'd just feedback some of my initial "stumbles"... :wink:. Some of these are very minor but they are first impressions...

1. Default EverQuest path in the default profile is set to "C:\Program Files\EverQuest" - the default installation path of a standard install of EQ is "C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\EverQuest" - one less thing to check or have go wrong for most users.

2. When I opened the context menu in game, I really did not expect the "Exit" option to exit EQ! I expected it to exit the context menu. Then again, I seem to have a thing about WinEQ and Exit options...

3. Since I don't have DAoC, maybe an option to not have any DAoC option display on the WinEQ menu, eg. Launch DAoC, and in the Preferences? Preferences is less of a problem but I found quick navigation of the main WinEQ menu for launching sessions slower since I had an extra option to navigate around.

Well, gotta go to work now but look forward to playing with it some more! New version looks great!

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:45 pm

1. The default is set to that yes, BUT only if the registry key that stores the path is not found. The only time that is supposed to happen is if you didn't use the EQ install discs or if you reinstalled windows after installing. None of my installs ever went to Sony Online Entertainment, possibly Program Files\Sony\EverQuest though. It depends on which version of EQ they start installing with :)

2. I've had another mention of this by a subscriber, and I will probably make it an optional thing.

3. You might not have have EQII or WoW either, but they will also be on the menu within a week or two. I'll see about an option to hide the extra ones, thanks for the suggestion

AnthonyB
Non-Subscriber

Post by AnthonyB » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 am

Lax wrote:1. The default is set to that yes, BUT only if the registry key that stores the path is not found. The only time that is supposed to happen is if you didn't use the EQ install discs or if you reinstalled windows after installing. None of my installs ever went to Sony Online Entertainment, possibly Program Files\Sony\EverQuest though. It depends on which version of EQ they start installing with :)
I thought that might be the case. I definitely haven't reinstalled XP and the original install was done from CDs but it's the newer EverQuest Evolution pack which contained EverQuest Classic, Ruins of Kunark, Scars of Velious, Shadows of Luclin, Planes of Power, and Legacy of Ykesha all on 3 CDs. On top of that I have seperate CD installs of Gates of Discord and Lost Dungeons of Norath plus a digital download install of Omen of War.

There is a reference to the installation path, but definitely not where I expected to find it - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\App Paths\everquest_ubi.exe\Path which has a REG_SZ value of C:\Program Files\Sony Online Entertainment\EverQuest

The HKLM\Software\Sony Online Entertainment key which was where I thought it would be only contained empty keys for EverQuest Invasion: Gold and EverQuest Invasion: Plains of Power (ok, not quite empty, both contained an empty key named 1.00.000)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:26 am

Usually it's HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\App Paths\everquest.exe. That's the standard place to find the installation path :)

I'll add everquest_ubi.exe so that it will try to detect either. Are you european? That's the only reason I can think of that it would be different, but I wasnt aware that there's an actual everquest_ubi.exe

AnthonyB
Non-Subscriber

Post by AnthonyB » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:19 am

Lax wrote:Are you european? That's the only reason I can think of that it would be different, but I wasnt aware that there's an actual everquest_ubi.exe
Nope. Australian.

As mentioned, it was a fairly new pack that I bought March this year so maybe they changed it along the way or something.