WinEQ2.0 incompatible with Project 1999 7/14 changes

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

nordahlvt
Non-Subscriber

WinEQ2.0 incompatible with Project 1999 7/14 changes

Post by nordahlvt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:15 pm

When i load the 7/14 P99 (EQEmulator) dsetup.dll i can no longer open EQ with WinEQ after the 7/27 patch.

I think it might have to do with a multicore issue. The EQEmulator launcher will not launch EQ for me, either, if i set it to CPU Affinity 1.

If i directly throttle my cpu with C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start "" /affinity 1...EQ in my target command trying to direct open EQ with eqgame it has the same effect. EQ will not load.

It seems that it has more to do with my processor failing to be compatible with this setup changes than it being a WinEQ switch although the symptoms did not arise until WinEQ's 7/27 patch. WinEQ was compatible with these changes until that moment and i'm just not finding a way to make EQ work w/o my beloved WinEQ.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Does EQ pop up a crash box? I got a lot of crash reports from this and subsequently updated WinEQ 2 again to solve the issue. There's also a couple other threads here in this forum about the same thing: http://www.lavishsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5323

In order to resolve new issues with the live build of EQ1, I updated WinEQ 2's hooking mechanisms to match Inner Space. Sadly while this corrected the issue for EQ live, it apparently was not immediately compatible with P99's EQ 2005 and dsetup.dll hacks. While I do not officially support emulators/"private servers" for any game (which makes this extra sad), I patched a fix for that issue after the original 7/27 update.. so if you haven't restarted WinEQ 2 since, do it again now.

There's still a few people reporting issues. Here's some suggestions...

Do you have any windows compatibility settings configured on eqgame.exe? These might cause WinEQ 2 to be unable to run it. Open up your EQ folder and right click eqgame.exe and open its Properties, and make sure it doesn't have any compatibility settings configured (e.g. Windows XP compatibility mode)

Sometimes, particularly with Windows 7 and 8, Windows automatically applies some compatibility settings that do not show up in the Properties. They would, however, be listed in the Windows Registry. You can open up regedit.exe and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers, and see if it has any entries listed for eqgame.exe or launchpad.exe; if it does, delete that entry. Same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

You can also try running WinEQ 2 as Administrator if you are not currently.

nordahlvt
Non-Subscriber

Post by nordahlvt » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 pm

I do not get any popup box showing an error, the mouse does the hourglass for a second (as it does while window usually opens) and then returns to mouse point. Nothing opens (it fails, i assume).

I do run it as administrator, no dice there.

I actually am mid-reformat now, i struggled with this for a few hours last night and a few hours today and finally called it quits. Not sure about compatibility. If the problem returns after reformat i'll pursue some of the other suggestions.

I did a system restore and i was able to run WinEQ after 7/27 patch no problem as long as i didnt patch the p99 dsetup.dll. Not sure what the error was, i was working with Nilbog on it earlier today as well to no avail.

Someone suggested maybe it was .dll files stuck in my registry. Instead of doing a full uninstall of WinEQ and EQ and then a ccleaner i decided to just reformat.