WinEQ 2.15 Lite not working in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

wandvv
Non-Subscriber

WinEQ 2.15 Lite not working in Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit?

Post by wandvv » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 am

Hi All,

Just upgraded my O/S to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit from Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

My system is Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.33 GHz, 4 GB Ram, Nvidia GTS 250 1 GB RAM (latest driver), installed Directx 9.0c.

I am running Titanium client, with WinEQ 2.15 Lite. When I was in XP, I was able to run up to 6+ WinEQ sessions, with 1 in the foreground and the rest minimized. And the memory usage for the minimized instances were approximately 50,000 K of RAM each, in task manager. Now in Windows 7, when I load up 6 sessions again, every eqgame.exe is taking around 450,000 - 500,000 K of RAM does not matter if it is minimized or not . I have the exact EQ settings from before (copied all the INI files from the EQ directory and copied them back), and all the EQplaynice settings within WinEQ are the same from before as well. see below:

Foreground = FPS Limiter
CPU/FPS Limit = 30
Rendering Limiter Mode = 1 out of x frames
Rendering Limit = 1

Background = CPU Limiter (also tried FPS Limiter too)
CPU/FPS Limit = 10
Rendering Limiter Mode = 1 out of x frames
Rendering Limit = 10

I have tried everything I can think of to reduce the memory usage for the minimized EQ instances down to at least 100,000 K or less but no matter what I did, they keep eating up 400 MB - 550 MB of RAM each! Damn... anyone see this before? Is WinEQ 2.15 lite not compatible with Win7 64 bit? I have tried to run it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode/run as administrator and still did not help, anyone got any idea? really appreciate any advice if you can help, I thought upgrading to Win 7 64bit could help me with using my 4 GB of memory more efficiently, but now it is actually making it worse... Arrrrgh...

BTW my main EQ Window resolution is 1024 x 768, all graphic settings are low, just 1 or 2 Luclin models are on. The rest of my toons are in 800x600 and same graphical settings.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:43 pm

Based on the title of this thread I thought you had a problem with WinEQ 2 working. At first I was like O.o run as Administrator, and then I was like O.o you thought it used less memory before

EQ always took up 400-500MB per instance, and WinEQ 2 nor EQPlayNice are going to reduce its actual memory usage. At best, what you saw in XP would have been storing the (additional) memory in a swap file instead of in RAM, which is going to hurt performance. I could build this behavior into EQPlayNice or WinEQ 2 and force things out of RAM and onto disk, but unless you're out of RAM it's not going to be particularly useful, and when you are out of RAM it's going to do it anyway. (In other words, I don't believe you're losing anything other than making more efficient use of your RAM... which you think you're not getting because you see it being used. It's less efficient to have it and not use it...)

To answer as to why you see this behavior, I do believe I read that windows XP favored swap file usage in various scenarios where Windows 7 favors actual memory usage as long as you have the RAM. That's usually a good thing. Also, on a 32-bit OS, you would have effectively only had 3GB of RAM instead of being able to use the full 4GB.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:53 pm

p.s. it just occurred to me that you might have been using MQ2 with a plugin that adjusted the working set size (forcing memory onto disk as mentioned in my last post). If you want to do that on Windows 7 just run MQ2 as Administrator.

wandvv
Non-Subscriber

Post by wandvv » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Lax, thanks for your reply,

I think you are right with how Windows 7 handles memory differently vs XP. I need to do more research on this topic to understand how Windows 7 uses its memory.

BTW, which MQ2 plugin are you referring to? Yes i'm using MQ2.