low fps with winEQ on eq1

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

queljie
Non-Subscriber

low fps with winEQ on eq1

Post by queljie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey, first id like to appologize if someone has made a similiar post in the past on this issue. I must have overlooked it when I searched.

Anyways, I just got winEQ and when I load up one instanced of eq1 it seems to make my in game fps super low. It also kinda runs in bursts, speeding up slightly for a split second before slowing way down again. I'm not sure what to do, I didnt have this problem before using winEQ, even when I was boxing it wouldnt be that bad.

If anyone can help me at all I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:52 pm

This sounds like you're on a laptop or a PC otherwise equipped with SpeedStep. See this thread, and let me know if it helps.

http://www.lavishsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3734

queljie
Non-Subscriber

Post by queljie » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:56 pm

yes im on a laptop. when i click the link it says it does not exist :(

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:06 pm

I apologize, it's in the subscriber section of the forums. Here's what I intended for you to be able to read :)
Your laptop is probably equipped with something like SpeedStep. What happens with this enabled is the laptop detects when you need less CPU power, and it will reduce the CPU speed as it sees fit.

Your movement speed in EQ is very much determined by your framerate (given in frames per second, or fps for short). If your framerate is lower than, say, 30 FPS, you will certainly notice other characters moving quicker than you when they should not be. If your FPS is not steady (e.g. when standing still and staring at a wall, it jumps around a lot), then this may be even more pronounced. If you have disabled EQPlayNice's FPS indicator (which should be shown by default with WinEQ 2 Pro), you may wish to turn it on so you can determine if this is affecting you.

Typically laptops with SpeedStep will disable this functionality if you select the "Always On" power profile in Windows. To do so in Windows Vista, open the control panel and select Power Options. The "High performance" option is the one you need -- just remember that when you're running on batteries instead of plugged into the wall, you probably want to be in a battery saving mode. On Windows XP, I believe the OS will automatically select "Always On" if you are plugged into the wall, and a battery saving mode when not plugged into the wall -- or at least, my laptop has always done so after selecting the Always On mode with the laptop plugged in.

Finally, if EverQuest is not the foreground window (e.g. if you switch to another EQ session or a web browser), the default behavior of EQPlayNice is to slow your framerate somewhat to improve overall system performance. This degrades autofollow performance, so if you plan to autofollow someone and have EQ in the background, make sure to go to the WinEQ 2 Preferences window, select the EQPlayNice, Background category, and set it to FPS limiting mode rather than CPU limiting mode. This will allow the session to keep a consistently high framerate. You do not need to change any of the numbers, the defaults are selected for your benefit.

queljie
Non-Subscriber

Post by queljie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:36 am

Didn't work :(
If i turn off eqplaynice will my boxing efficiency go back to what it normally was?

I remember you mentioning a way to turn speedstep off in BIOS. I went to dells website but couldnt find out how to disable speedstep any way other than the power option. If you could let me know how to turn it on and off another way id appreciate it. Also if theres anything else you think I should try let me know. Thanks again!

queljie
Non-Subscriber

Post by queljie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:08 pm

ok well i just disabled eqplaynice by going into options > preferences > then turned it off in the general options of the EverQuest tab. This didnt help the fps problem at all :(

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:59 pm

You have to restart WinEQ 2 for disabling EQPlayNice to take effect.
I remember you mentioning a way to turn speedstep off in BIOS. I went to dells website but couldnt find out how to disable speedstep any way other than the power option. If you could let me know how to turn it on and off another way id appreciate it. Also if theres anything else you think I should try let me know. Thanks again!
When your computer is first booting, you need to enter the BIOS. On my dell laptop, the way to do this is to hit F2 (it says in the upper right to hit F2 to enter setup). Then it makes me hit ALT+P to switch pages until I get to the Power Management page, where it says "Intel SpeedStep(tm): Enabled". I select the option with the arrow keys, hit the left or right arrow to switch it to Disabled, then hit Esc to exit.