EQ2 UI not scaling

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Gummby8
Non-Subscriber

EQ2 UI not scaling

Post by Gummby8 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:44 am

Ok I am prety sure I searched everywhere for a fix before posting.
While running EQ2 I can size down the window prety small yet the UI buttins do not size with it. The game itself IE: my toon and all teh monsters and the playing field scale down yet all the UI bottuns stay the same exact size and in the same spot off screen that they would be normaly. I have to shrink all my UI buttins in game and move them way up into the top righthand corner and then size the window down. Its like the UI is on a completly different overlay that WinEQ2 affects. I have tried using custom UIs as well as the default UI. A buddy of mine thought it was due to not being a paying customer so he tied it out with a full version and same problem.

Is there something we are missing or will the UI never scale along with the window itself?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:30 am

EQ2 doesn't like resolutions under 800x600, and doesn't normally allow you to shrink the window that small. I pointed out this "bug" to SOE when EQ2 launched, but as the normal client doesn't allow you to shrink it that small, I guess they didn't see the point in fixing it (they never responded).

The successor to WinEQ 2 should handle it just fine, but unfortunately this is not easily fixed in WinEQ 2 at this time. If your friend wants a refund he needs only send me an email requesting one.

LordTio
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by LordTio » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:32 am

This would be his friend :P
When you say the successor, do you mean innerspace? I can't seem to even get EQ2 to scale down at all with innerspace.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:53 am

Well, Inner Space was originally intended to be the successor to WinEQ 2, but it's been focused on a different audience and therefore has not been considered the successor to WinEQ 2. The real successor has been a long time coming since unfortunately I've been kept busy with unrelated work (but with any luck, it'll be coming this year).

But, if you want to use Inner Space, I can tell you exactly what to do. You can enter this command in the session (hit ` in the session to open the IS console for the session):

Code: Select all

windowsize -rescale -viewable 640x480
The -rescale switch will prevent EQ2 from being notified that the window size is changing, so the game will keep the same display resolution and the display as a whole will simply be automatically scaled to fit the window. This means you will want to keep the same aspect ratio as it was before rescaling the window (e.g. 640x480 and 800x600 are 4:3). For example, if you're seeing distortion (note: the "displayinfo" command will tell you if there's any distortion), you can first reset the game's resolution to one with the desired aspect ratio like so..

Code: Select all

windowsize -viewable 800x600
... and then resize with the -rescale switch, and there should be no distortion.

LordTio
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by LordTio » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:18 am

It worked to an extent
Its seems 800x600 is as small as it likes, anything past that and you get what is shown in the screenshot
the game morphs itself into the top righthand corner and half the game is missing
Also the mouse is way off. I would hold the mouse at the mottom of the screen and the login button shown would light up[/img]

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:29 am

It did that even with -rescale? Sounds like EQ2 really doesn't like it, I guess I don't have anything to suggest at the moment.