EQLindows and Windows Vista

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

toad
Non-Subscriber

EQLindows and Windows Vista

Post by toad » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:21 pm

EQLindows starts to open, puts a small box in the upper left hand corner, then closes. Never gets to the EULA or to login. This happens only in Windows Vista, Windows XP still works.

eqjoe
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by eqjoe » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:08 am

EQLindows does not work on Vista. This is a know problem.

-j

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:35 pm

it worked in vista BEFORE the what oct 15th patch that i first reported on? So it being a known problem for near 2 months now yes, but it wasn't fixed to begin with

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Any updates planned?

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey Lax, you actually going to support your product anymore? If you aren't a message saying "i no longer support this product, please use my other product that requires my servers to be up before you can play EQ" would be nice.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 am

Look, EQLindows is free. If it doesn't work for you, then you're not exactly out any money. You're sure putting up a fight to get your money's worth for not having paid a dime. I never particularly supported EQLindows, I only made it to voluntarily help out people who preferred EQWindows, after EQWindows stopped working. I have no real interest in actively supporting it, and you're not exactly convincing me that I want to. Besides, it still works fine for Windows XP users. I have paying customers that I would rather help out.

Furthermore, it's funny that you complain about "requir[ing] my servers to be up", as we have had greater than 99% uptime since the company launched. We've served nearly 20 million launches of our products in that time, for paying and non-paying customers alike. I'm not sure you know this, so I'll say it: EverQuest has much more downtime than our servers. In other words, it's far more likely that you need to wait on EverQuest servers to be up before you can play EQ, than you will ever need to wait on Lavish servers to be up before you can play EQ. And you can still pay, you guessed it, nothing, for basic WinEQ service. That's the same amount you paid for EQLindows!

Your complaints are laughable, and I'm not saying this just because of who I am, it really is ridiculous.

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:58 pm

EQ Servers may be down longer than yours, but If EQ's servers are down, i know i can't play eq. If your servers are down (99% or not) while EQ is up, then i have to change how i play EQ. You may not remember, but i mentioned this problem when you first went to this silly login scheme and then later while i was happily using EQLindows, i saw my concerns come forward when your servers WERE down.
As for having 99% uptime... that's really not a difficult number to attain. I maintain plenty of systems and servers that require greater than 99% uptime. When you reach 99.9999% uptime, then i'll be impressed.
Personally, i don't have Vista Anymore, and will do my best to avoid it as i can, but i know i will have it again eventually. I have found some issues with running EQLindows on XP, but trying to get support is diffcult enough as is. But i have recommended EQLindows to several people who have recently upgraded to vista, and now they are forced to go with only the EQ self windowing feature.
You can decided to support it or not support it, that is your choice. What i REALLY want is an answer. You want to support it, fine, support it. WinEQ and EQLindows are close enough that fixing one should give you a clue to fix the other, and I fully understand you fixing WinEQ first, and waited patiently when it first broke. Then i inquired on the status of fixing EQLindows... no response, and waited, then inquired again, no response, and waited. It broke in October, and i'm being VERY vocal about it 3 months later. I've shown plenty of patience and understanding and have not gotten even a "hey, i'm a little busy, but i'll get to it" THAT is what i'm most upset about.
If you plan to let it die as JSD did, then fine, let it die, but be polite enough to respond to me and say "Hey, i don't feel like supporting it anymore" I don't feel that is too much to ask

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:12 pm

There is not and has never been official support for EQLindows, and no guarantee of its fitness for any purpose. There is no mention of EQLindows on the main accessible portion of the Lavish Software, LLC web site, nor is there a forum for supporting it.

EQLindows is a free product I volunteered to create for people who preferred to use EQWindows. If I choose to update it to solve a problem, then so be it. For the majority of its users, there is not a reported problem. If it works for you and you like it, then use it. If it doesn't work for you or you don't like it, then don't use it. That's all there is to it. It has never been supported, and that is the definitive answer. That doesn't mean that it won't get fixed when I find the time. I don't know what you're going to get out of continuing to ask about it, other than what has already been implied since the release of EQLindows.

All supported Lavish Software products can be downloaded from the main area on lavishsoft.com, and require a Lavish Software account, and yes "require our servers be up". As this is obviously very important to all of our customers, including our commercial customers, it is important to us to keep our servers online, and we keep them online. Reaching 99.9999% uptime is not likely to change your argument, as there is still that 0.0001% chance that the service is offline, and when that happens, you will come back here with the same messages about how you use EQLindows because WinEQ is unreliable.

toad
Non-Subscriber

Post by toad » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:26 pm

There may not be any "official" support, but in September when it ran into problems, you responded within a day to say you would look at it, and had it fixed within 10 days. Forgive me for thinking you might respond again to a topic on your forums. I will assume from this point forward that you will no longer support it and I will stop directing people toward your site.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:57 am

You make whatever claims you feel are necessary to support your cause. I will continue to support my customers to the best of my ability, as I always have. As I explained multiple times, anyone can use EQLindows if they so desire and they are absolutely free to do so, but that does not make them a supported Lavish customer. You choose to use EQLindows because you do not want to be a supported Lavish customer, period.

Have a good day.

sorsar13
Non-Subscriber

Post by sorsar13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:27 am

I'd be willing to donate 15 to get it workin again.