Launching WinEQ2 from profile shortcut doesn't start game

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

spointman
Non-Subscriber

Launching WinEQ2 from profile shortcut doesn't start game

Post by spointman » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:02 pm

I'm not entirely sure if this is a bug or if I misunderstood what a feature is supposed to do.

I created three profiles for my Everquest installation -- one with patch, one without patch, and one for test server. I then created shortcuts to each profile (right-click on WinEQ2, Everquest, Create Desktop Shortcut, profile name).

Then, I exit WinEQ2 (usually because I restart my PC).

Then, I try to launch Everquest by double-clicking one of the shortcuts on my desktop.

When I do this, WinEQ2 launches and patches itself. However, it doesn't run Everquest (regardless of the profile). Double-clicking the profile icon again (after WinEQ2 is loaded) likewise fails to launch EQ.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:13 pm

If WinEQ 2 actually has to patch, it wont launch the game. It should, however, launch them fine after that. I will check on your issue today

spointman
Non-Subscriber

Post by spointman » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:53 pm

I figured out part of the problem -- I'd renamed the profiles after making the shortcuts. It took me a while to notice that the shortcuts call the profiles by name. Once I fixed the shortcuts to use the new names, the profiles worked.

The problem of a game not launching if WinEQ has to patch itself is annoying but not really harmful. Perhaps you could get around it by having WinEQ create a text file with the game and profile name as a "reminder" for itself before patching? When WinEQ launches itself, it would check for the presence of that file. If found, it would launch the game and profile stored in it, then delete the reminder file. Normally, this would only happen after WinEQ patches itself.