WoW EULA + WinEQ2

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

FurryNeko
Non-Subscriber

WoW EULA + WinEQ2

Post by FurryNeko » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:11 am

Heya, just a quick question before I download, or maybe even purchase your software ^^

The WoW EULA prohibits the use of any 3rd Party Software that affects how WoW runs, does WinEQ2 fall under this category?

I don't want to risk both my accounts over convenience software :)

- FN

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am

WinEQ affects how WoW runs the same way DirectX or Windows do.

To answer your question, I will point you toward the policy posting on www.worldofwarcraft.com (quoted below if you dont want to click the link): http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/e ... .html#utps
Unapproved Third Party Software

A third party program is any file or program that is not a part of the World of Warcraft software, but is used to gain an advantage in the game, such as increasing your movement speed or teleporting from one place to another beyond what is allowed by game design. It also includes any programs that obtain information from the game that is not normally available to the regular player or that transmit or modify any of the game files. Normally, this classification does not include UI modifications, except those UIs that require an external application to function.

Any external applications that are used in conjunction with World of Warcraft can cause quite a few unwanted side effects. Some of the major possible results of the use of third party programs can be instability of the game to the point that a player "crashes" from the game quite often. External programs can also be used to transmit viruses, spyware, and other unwanted programs into a player's computer. Third party programs can also be used to obtain information from the player's computer, such as account, password, and personal information.
If a player is found to have used such a program, he/she may:

* Be temporarily suspended from the game
* Have further action taken, up to and including account closure, based on the intent of the program
First of all as the first sentence indicates, a third party program, to Blizzard, is anything developed by anyone else other than Blizzard and their affiliates. Unfortunately it does imply after the first clause that third party software is used to gain an advantage, and therefore the term will still confuse people who thought "all third party software" usage was banned in EverQuest 1's EULA. Anyway, the policy goes on to explain that the policy applies to programs used to hack the game itself to change game mechanics (such as movement speed, or teleporting), or used to obtain information from the game that is not normally available, or transmit or modify the game files.

It is my understanding that Blizzard developers have themselves played most of the available MMORPGs, including EverQuest, and are aware of the tools available for the games. The policy is written in such a way that specifically details features of MacroQuest, ShowEQ, and various "hacks" and explains that these things are against policy. It does not state nor imply, however, that programs such as EQWindows or WinEQ are against the rules. I firmly believe that Blizzard developers have actually used most of the programs listed above themselves, and were able to make policy decisions based on their experiences with the tools and what they wanted to allow in their game.

Based on the actual EULA and the policy posting that describes it in further detail, I would have to say that WinEQ is not against the rules.