2nd client crashes right before opening into zone

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

Whatsthis4
GamingTools Subscriber

2nd client crashes right before opening into zone

Post by Whatsthis4 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:08 pm

When I try to run 2 EQ1 clients at once, the second one crashes while loading the zone files. Everything works fine up to and beyond the char. select screen. The error that I am getting is the one about "your client may have crashed" and asks if I want to send a report.

This machine is about a month old and should be more than enough to handle it. The wineq1 version ran flawlessly on it with Win98se. I have since upgraded to XP Home sp1. I have done all of the Windows updates including sp2. I have the latest Soundmax integrated sound drivers and the lastest video drivers for my agp 256mb card. I have 1024 in ram.

I have tried running EQ from one folder and also 2 folders on seperate drives. Both installations of EQ run fine without Wineq2. This system info is while running both from the same folder and the client that crashed is the one that is listed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get this straightened out yet I think I am ready to subscribe. You have an awesome program going here and thank you for the chance to try before I buy. :)

WinEQ 2 System Information
System:
-----------------------------------
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP/Service Pack 2/2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158
System Physical RAM: 13/1021MB
Page File: 1451/2464MB
Virtual Memory: 1430/2047MB (Extended: 0MB)
CPU 1: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 2992MHz
CPU 2: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz @ 2992MHz
Video 1: \\.\DISPLAY1/NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Video 2: \\.\DISPLAY2/NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Video 3: \\.\DISPLAYV1/NetMeeting driver
Video 4: \\.\DISPLAYV2/RDPDD Chained DD
Monitor 1: \\.\DISPLAY1 (0,0,1024,768) (1024x768) PRIMARY
Sound: ¨
DirectX: 4.09.00.0904
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
WinEQ: 2.07

Loaded Modules:
Module 0: C:\Games\EverQuest\eqgame.exe
Module 1: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
Module 2: C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll
Module 3: C:\Games\EverQuest\mss32.dll
Module 4: C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
Module 5: C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
Module 6: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINMM.dll
Module 7: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
Module 8: C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
Module 9: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WSOCK32.dll
Module 10: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll
Module 11: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll
Module 12: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2HELP.dll
Module 13: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DINPUT8.dll
Module 14: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMM32.dll
Module 15: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll
Module 16: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHLWAPI.dll
Module 17: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll
Module 18: C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ff9\comctl32.dll
Module 19: C:\WINDOWS\system32\comctl32.dll
Module 20: C:\Program Files\WinEQ2\WinEQ2.dll
Module 21: C:\WINDOWS\Lavish.dll
Module 22: C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSAPI.DLL
Module 23: C:\Program Files\WinEQ2\WinEQ2-EQ.dll
Module 24: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMG32.dll
Module 25: C:\Program Files\WinEQ2\WinEQ2-D3D9.dll
Module 26: C:\Program Files\WinEQ2\WinEQ2-D3D8.dll
Module 27: C:\Program Files\WinEQ2\WinEQ2-DI8.dll
Module 28: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mswsock.dll
Module 29: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hnetcfg.dll
Module 30: C:\WINDOWS\System32\wshtcpip.dll
Module 31: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DNSAPI.dll
Module 32: C:\WINDOWS\System32\winrnr.dll
Module 33: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WLDAP32.dll
Module 34: C:\WINDOWS\system32\rasadhlp.dll
Module 35: C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll
Module 36: C:\WINDOWS\system32\NTMARTA.DLL
Module 37: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SAMLIB.dll
Module 38: C:\Games\EverQuest\EQGraphicsDX9.DLL
Module 39: C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d9.dll
Module 40: C:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8thk.dll
Module 41: C:\WINDOWS\system32\VERSION.dll
Module 42: C:\Games\EverQuest\dpvs.dll
Module 43: C:\WINDOWS\system32\HID.DLL
Module 44: C:\WINDOWS\system32\SETUPAPI.DLL
Module 45: C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINTRUST.dll
Module 46: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CRYPT32.dll
Module 47: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSASN1.dll
Module 48: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IMAGEHLP.dll
Module 49: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssmp3.asi
Module 50: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssvoice.asi
Module 51: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssa3d.m3d
Module 52: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssds3d.m3d
Module 53: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssdx7.m3d
Module 54: C:\Games\EverQuest\msseax.m3d
Module 55: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssrsx.m3d
Module 56: C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSACM32.dll
Module 57: C:\Games\EverQuest\msssoft.m3d
Module 58: C:\Games\EverQuest\mssdsp.flt
Module 59: C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdmaud.drv
Module 60: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.drv
Module 61: C:\WINDOWS\system32\midimap.dll
Module 62: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DSOUND.DLL
Module 63: C:\WINDOWS\system32\KsUser.dll

Direct3D9:
Driver: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE/nv4_disp.dll/6/14/10/6693
Adapter Display Mode: 1024x768 D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8
Game Display Mode: 1024x768 D3DFMT_UNKNOWN
Current Adapter: 0
Available Texture Memory: 276MB
Direct3D8:
Adapter Display Mode: 0x0 D3DFMT_UNKNOWN
Game Display Mode: 0x0 D3DFMT_UNKNOWN
Current Adapter: 0
Available Texture Memory: (not currently available)
DirectInput8:

EverQuest:
Profile 1: WinEQ 2.0 Default Profile
EQ Path: C:\Games\EverQuest
EQClient.ini: .\eqclient.ini
Patch: OFF Test Server: OFF Locale: us
Video Adapter: Application Controlled
Luclin models: 29 (+145 min RAM)
Sound: ON (+22 min RAM)
Dynamic Lighting: ON (+4 min RAM)
Texture Quality: MEDIUM (+30 min RAM)
Sky: COMPLEX (+10 min RAM)
Calculated minimum RAM: 494MB (BASE+211MB)
Level of Detail: 0
MaxFPS: 100
Additional setting: VertexShaders=FALSE
Additional setting: 20PixelShaders=TRUE
Additional setting: 1xPixelShaders=TRUE

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:21 pm

I do see that your system RAM is very low and once you run out, things could act unpredictably. I would definitely try shutting off all unnecessary luclin models to free up some RAM, just to see if that changes things for you.

Secondly, have you changed any WinEQ 2 settings besides disabling EQPlayNice? If you turned on the threaded window option, try turning that back off to see if that helps.

Past that, your system looks ok from the sysinfo.txt readout... no abnormal in-process modules running, latest video drivers, service packs, DirectX, etc. With just this information and other than the two notes above, I would have to say it should run perfectly fine for you, and definitely shouldnt crash when loading. Try lowering your RAM requirements for EQ and check the threaded setting in WinEQ.

Let me know if this helps. Your other option of course is to switch back to WinEQ 1.38, or if you subscribe you could also switch up to Inner Space, which provides most of the default WinEQ hotkeys etc.

Whatsthis4
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Whatsthis4 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:37 pm

I tried it last night with all of the luclin models turned off except for the horses and it made no difference. I checked for the threaded window option and if it is the multi-threaded window option under everquest in the preferences then it is already off. I turned patching off and disabled the vertex shading by changing the entry in eqclient.ini to false. Couldn't find where to turn them off in game. I will try going back to the old models again just to be safe and get back to you in a bit. Thanks for getting back to me so quick. :)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:46 pm

Well, that's what I'm here for ;)

Vertex shaders off can actually be "lethal" with an NVIDIA card while multiboxing EQ1. You should try it with them turned on as well.

Whatsthis4
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Whatsthis4 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:22 pm

Ok, I turned the models off and it didn't help. I turned the vertex shading back on and I now have 2 chars up and running. I just turned the VS off right before my first post to be sure I covered as much of what I previously read so you didn't have to tell me something that is already here. I'm not sure this is solved yet because I have been messing with this for about 3 days now and I think I have been at this combo of settings before, but I'm going to play them for a while to see how it acts. If I don't get any problems in game I will try logging in a few times to see if it holds. Thanks again for your help. If it doesn't last I'll post back later.

Whatsthis4
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Whatsthis4 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:20 am

I'm still having problems. Played fine as long as I was on. Very pretty picture with no lag at all, even in the rain. Logged on again and went fine also. Logged again and crashed. Restarted. Logged again and crashed. Had an eqgame.exe error also in the first instance this time.

If everything looked ok in the system info, I think I am going to start looking for a hardware problem.

When I installed XP I had numerous issues and errors throughout the process which isn't the norm in my experience. A MB bios update seemed to iron out most of those issues though. I would have felt better if it went off without a hitch though. The only reason I haven't reinstall XP again is because all my app's run perfectly, even lotus approach 9.5 which has documented problems with XP. This installation is less than a week old so I am reasonably sure it is clean.

Could my video settings have anything to do with this? From the desktop they are set at 1024x768 32 bit with 75 Hertz refresh rate. The settings from the EQ options at the logon screen are 1024x768 and high. The settings at the "in game" options are 1024x768 32 bit at 75 Hertz. I have to run at 75 Hertz or it looks like it's raining all the time on this monitor. Viewsonic says 75 is the minimum.

This video card ran very good at these settings with half the ram and processor in my other machine, the only lag was usually in POK on a busy night with both chars there at the same time, so I can't really point my finger at it either.

Maybe I'll investigate the programs you mention above although I am not convinced that version 2 is the problem either. Will they run alright on XP? Thanks again.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:26 am

I've done all my development on Windows XP for the past 3-4 years, so that includes all of our products :)

If you had problems during windows XP install I would agree that is abnormal. The only thing I've had a problem with during install on a perfectly good machine is the XP SP1 and earlier cds didnt have SATA drivers (I'm told theyre on SP2 install cds though). At my computer technician job a year or two ago, WinXP install problems went without a hitch in most cases, problems only when the CD was scratched, older hardware wasnt supported, or the hard drive (or another piece of hardware) was going bad. If most stuff works, I'm not going to say that it IS the install, but I do agree that it is abnormal and I would also feel better if the install went without problems, and it COULD be the install.

When you play in a window, the refresh rate set within the game is actually unused by DirectX. SOE knows this, so when the game itself is set to windowed, the refresh rate dropdown is disabled. This does bring up another possibility -- see if it makes a difference when EQ itself is set to windowed rather than full screen. It sounds like it's currently set to full screen. If it's set to windowed, you could see if it works better in full screen instead too

As far as the other programs, I should mention that Inner Space is only available to subscribers. If you're not sure that things will work for you I'd say definitely try dropping back down to WinEQ 1.38 first