COmp problems

WinEQ 2.0 Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

shaft14
Non-Subscriber

COmp problems

Post by shaft14 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:53 am

Hello,
I am playing Everquest 1.0, and using up to date drivers etc...

I have been running a p4 1.8ghz cpu on my old 400mhz mainboard. I could alt tab between two characters easily using wineq 2.0, and even run three with little lag. If I ventured into oow it slowed down or stuck, so I decided to upgrade.

I bought a 800mhz mainboard, and a p4 3.0ghz cpu. Now here is my problem:

I booted it up two days ago, ran three characters using wineq 2.0, alt tabbed just fine. I logged out of EQ after about an hour to go to V-day dinner, and when I returned the comp was locked up. Long story short, the south bridge on the mainboard burned up.

No problem, they gave me a new board with more features. Installed it, and after one hour of running three characters, it locked up, and I felt the heat on the south bridge, same thing, hot as hell.

I have no grounding, shorting problems on the mainboard...I bought a new case with it, and have copper standoffs and everything. I even bought a nice $50.00 cpu fan. So cooling is not the issue. It was running at idle at 37c.

Anyone have any ideas on this? The store is going to stop giving me replacement Mboards I am sure. I run 1gig of RAM, and a gforce 5900xt video card.

I am at a loss, I have no idea how I am burning up the cards, I mean, if I can run three characters on an older board, what the hell is wrong with the upgraded equipment?

It was an Ai board.

Please respond if you have any good ideas, I haven't been able to play in days because of this.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I would have posted my sysinfo, but my main comp is the one burned up at the moment.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:51 am

If two boards burned up (the second one may soon?), my first thoughts would be power. You got a new power supply with your new case, I assume, so if anything burned up with the new case you could assume it's not the actual PSU. I would try plugging in the system somewhere else in the house that's on a different circuit, and/or invest in an uninterruptable power supply.

I know you say you have up to date drivers, but a lot of people say that and only update their video card drivers ;) I would check your motherboard manufacturer's website (or intel's) for chipset updates if you have not yet done so.

Just my thoughts, may or may not be of any use to you. Good luck