Memory display issues

WinEQ 2.0 Pro discussion and support

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

game_slave
GamingTools Subscriber

Memory display issues

Post by game_slave » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:06 pm

I noticed this week that my memory indicator in EQ with EQWin is not displaying what I think are correct numbers. I have a 128 meg board and 256 megs of texture RAM set up in the BIOS. I have 2 gigs of system RAM. Yesterday I noticed that instead of displaying the usual 300megs+ of texture RAM available with one instance of EQ running it is only showing 80 megs. I re-checked my BIOS settings and it is still set at 256. If I turn off anti-aliasing and set texture quality to the lowest I can get up to 105 megs free.

Another interesting thing is that with 2 gigs of RAM the "System RAM aviailable" indicator turns red at 65% available. This didn't used to turn red until I got to under 20% I believe. Not sure if it is related but both indicators started doing weird stuff at the same time. I am not even convinced it is a EQWin issue.

I have removed and re-installed my drivers several times. I have even gone back to older drivers with no change. I have also tried using v1.38 again and get the same readings. Weird.

Any ideas on what else I might look at? It's not causing any in game issues but the warning that flashes on the screen can get annoying. :)

GS

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:01 pm

Hmmm it gives the warning popup text with that much left? It shouldnt until you get below 32MB of either. The indicator should turn yellow at 64MB and red at 32MB for texture memory, and 128/64 for system memory.

WinEQ uses DirectX's API to get the amount of free texture RAM, and Windows' API to get the amount of free system RAM.

I'll do some testing.

game_slave
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by game_slave » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:26 pm

Hmmm it gives the warning popup text with that much left?
Sorry, let me clarify, starting with 80 or so megs of texture memory free I reach the warning point pretty much as soon as I zone once.

The weird part is that just last week it was showing 300+ texture RAM available upon entering the game. Nothing has changed this week that I know of.

With the system RAM I don't get a warning but the text in the display turns red with around a gig still free.

Knowing you get the info from Direct X I'll do some looking there.

GS

game_slave
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by game_slave » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:14 am

Ok, figured out the AGP texture memory problem. The ATI Smartgart software set AGP to "0" so no AGP texture memory from system RAM is available. It won't let me set it to anything else either. Now I just have to figure out why it's doing that THIS week and not LAST week. :P

At least I know it's not an EQWin issue. :)

GS

game_slave
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by game_slave » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:59 am

Problem solved. Had to re-install the Intel chipset drivers. /boggle

GS

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Interesting. Glad to hear you got things working correctly now though :)