Annoying "not enough video memory" window

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

Gront
Non-Subscriber

Annoying "not enough video memory" window

Post by Gront » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:20 pm

I'm running *very* antiquated hardware (Voodoo 5500 card, if you must know), and EQWin reports that I don't have enough video memory to load textures. I do, and it works fine, but the window popping up every time I load is a bit annoying. Is there a way to disable that warning window?

Also thought you might want to know that it was somehow misreading the Voodoo 5500's available memory or some such.

Thanks much,

Gront.

P.S. Great product--trying it out for the first time today, but I expect I'll become a subscriber once I've played with it a bit more. I've been an EQPlayNice user since way back, and you do great work.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:29 pm

WinEQ only reports what DirectX sees. If DirectX sees less than 35MB of available video memory between the video card's physical RAM and the AGP Aperture set in BIOS, then you in fact do not have enough to handle all of the textures in EQ. This is a very conservative setting, as the real value is more like 50MB. There is also a system memory warning at about 200MB, which is also a very conservative setting as the real value is more like 250-600MB (depending on options in EQ)

But yes I can make it optional, I'll put that on my list for 1.18 and beyond