Pc will restart randomly only after i bring up second window

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:30 am

Nah sensoph, your problem is the one explained in the changelog:
- WinEQ is now aware of your system's available video RAM and physical system RAM
** Note: Video RAM includes both the video card's RAM as well as AGP memory, which is
system RAM that the video card is allowed to borrow if it needs more memory. If your
system runs out of physical RAM to allocate, and the video card tries to allocate more
memory using remaining AGP memory that it thinks is available, YOUR SYSTEM WILL BLUE SCREEN!
I am working to see what I can do about that issue, which I believe is why people get
reboots with EQWindows as well.
To reiterate, you don't have enough physical memory to cover 2 EQ sessions. You can comfortably do 1 with non-maximum settings, but even 1 will tear through the 64MB on the video card. Once you eat up the video card's RAM, the system is allowed by BIOS to eat system RAM to compensate for texture memory not otherwise available. Starting a second EQ easily eats up 100% of your 512MB system RAM. When your system hits the point of 0MB system RAM available and 0MB of your 64MB video card's RAM available, and BIOS is still reporting 72MB of texture memory because of the AGP Aperture, your entire system crashes with an unhandled exception.

xryyl
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xryyl » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:22 pm

I almost posted the problem was fixed. But this happened again at the end of my eq session last night. I've tested all components everything is performing at par. It seems to be alot more stable running eq from two directory's on the same hard drive, but like I said as soon as I zoned both characters into pok blam-restart.

Do you think I should install the 996 version he's talking about? My system definetely only restarts at a certain load. With one account or normal pc programs it hasn't restarted on me. I've done benchmarks and diagnosis.

xryyl
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xryyl » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:23 pm

I just wanted to post I've narrowed it down to my new video card. As I can not produce this using my 4200ti.

I reinstalled the 6800 again and it hasn't restarted on me yet, but I only had about a half hour to test it.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:34 am

My best suggestion is to turn on the memory indicator, and watch it. If it goes red, there's a problem -- if you run out of physical RAM and EQ tries to load new textures, your system blue screens.

xryyl
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by xryyl » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:34 pm

I've narrowed it down to the new video card. Trying to get a hold of PNY atm with no luck so far. I've tested memory and every other component it only happens with the 6800.

Just thought I'd let you know.

And again thank you all for the assistance.

qmanguy
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by qmanguy » Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:51 am

I get this problem too, on lots of my computers. I updated windows, the critical patches, and then go to custom pick installs, go to hardware and see whats there. I found there is a AMD cpu upgrade, and often hardware upgrades for some of my motherboards that help. I dont crash anymore.

Go to system/advanged/startup and recovery and click off automatic restart. That seems to have helped as well. Instead of reboots, itll crash instead, thats better I think heh.

Heres another thing I found, its strange but I dont know I can run 4-5 windows again after doing those 2 things up there ( before I had the same 2 window reboot problem as you guys).

One eq window load is 300+ megs
Two eq windows laod 190/150 each
Then after the third one loads up, they all drop to under 50 meg loads. Something is definately fishy. 4+ windows is very stable again. I hope this post helps you guys out. Try those things. Who knows, verant messed sometihng up after last few patches.

redpriest
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by redpriest » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:04 pm

I am having the same problem with my 6800 ultra.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:13 pm

I'm going to lock this thread. If you experience issues please post your WinEQ.log and explain your problem fully (how many sessions you try to run, what happens, etc) in another thread