annoying password dialog

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

anonguy
Non-Subscriber

annoying password dialog

Post by anonguy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 am

If i subscribe, will the annoying password dialog go away? Either saved in config and taken care of behind the scenes without bugging me, or some kind of subscriber unlocked version?

gus
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by gus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:46 am

Not had a chance to use the new Lavish version of EQPN because of work (god I miss relaxing jobs where I what I do today has jackshit to do with what I did yesterday), but yet another password dialog to fillout would be annoying. ;)

I use 3 boxes, sounds like I'd need to do it, once per box, and then within the next 10-15 minutes I'm fine on that box regardless of how many clients I use.

I've automated as much of my startup process as I can, but it still takes 5-10 minutes of manual effort just to get my 6 clients up (have to enter in EQ password 6 times, wait for clients to start, etc). I can usually only play in disconnected small chunks of time, so getting everything started up is what prevents me from playing the most (it's a PITA).

I'd gladly pay extra for the ability to get all the way to character selection screen with 0 (ZERO) interaction with either EQ or my tools, other than saying 'start'. That should be a freaking core EQ feature, IMO.

--gus

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:48 am

1) The process for authenticating is being refined and you will probably be able to store your Lavish login information to have it entered automatically. You would not get the login box unless the stored credentials are invalid.

2) I can't click you past EQ's EULA or prevent it from displaying (this would be like knocking on SOE's door and asking for a lawsuit), but the rest can easily be automated.

gus
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by gus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:24 pm

2) I can't click you past EQ's EULA or prevent it from displaying (this would be like knocking on SOE's door and asking for a lawsuit), but the rest can easily be automated.
Unfortunate, but reasonable. It appears immediately after startup so it's not too bad.

Are we talking EQPN or WinEQ feature?

Along a similar vein, on which side of the bannable fence do you intend for Lavish commerical products to reside? And what compatibility goals do you have for Lavish products used in conjunction with other useful OSS software? I'm at the point I don't bother playing EQ much anymore without my OSS tools. 8)

--gus

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:43 pm

I'm not sure it's really a feature that belongs in either EQPN or WinEQ to automate the login, but I'll give it some thought and get back to you. Quite honestly that would normally be expected to be in MQ2 or its successor Inner Space, which will not be available for a few months.

All MMOTools products are intended to be on the "safe" side of the fence. Inner Space will be on the same side of the fence as MQ2, with the exception that the software itself will not be specifically for breaking EQ's license agreement ;) It will be application independent, and have an API much like MacroQuest 2's, complete with plugins. Application dependent stuff will all go in plugins, and there can be plugins for plugins... in other words, projects like MQ2 could simply hook in their "offsets" and "structs", and insert their commands/data elements/etc rather than writing the entire macro system and back-end from the ground up.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:47 pm

About the login, I am currently implementing user/pass storage so it doesn't need to be entered each time if you choose. This will be available to all users sometime today or tomorrow.

Another thing I'll be doing very soon is adding auto-update features to the EQPlayNice and WinEQ loaders. This means the tray icon will keep the DLL open that is storing your session information for contact with the license server, which will help for when you close an EQ session entirely and start a new one, if you don't use the auto-login feature.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 3:47 pm

You may now update both WinEQ and EQPlayNice to take advantage of user/pass storage.

Nadonius
Non-Subscriber

Post by Nadonius » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:39 pm

I must admit I find this a bit intrusive. I can understand doing this once for validation on the first time using it(sorta like activating windows), especially if you're planning to charge for more enhanced software.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:44 pm

:roll: It's a copy protection scheme, and rather than passively assuming that people are all honest, I'll go ahead and take the hit of the small number of people who object to connecting to a license server each time the software starts (turns out most of those people are ones who wouldn't pay for the software anyway). If you don't wish to use the software, feel free not to. Sorry.. We dont collect your personal information any more than signing up on the message board takes.

If you use the auto-login to the license server, you can pretend it doesnt happen 8)

anonguy
Non-Subscriber

Post by anonguy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:37 pm

There used to be an ultima online addon, forgot the name. Once you registered it would be tied to your account by your login or cd key or something, removing the need for a access server. It has been a while, trying to remmeber how it worked. I think you ran the program on your machine and once you were logged in, hit a button to generate a big long number. you sent that number to the company along with payment. they sent you back an unlock, that would only work for your account. Now things were different with UO, addons were ok as long as they didnt do certain things, and they gave the addon makes api info for a while.

Hannibal
Site Admin

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:21 am

UOAssist

Lanolar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by Lanolar » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:33 pm

lol, I cant seem to be able to release the mouse so I can click the "tic" box for it to remember my username/password!

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:36 pm

Unfortunately the mouse cursor is invisible but you can actually click it or use "Tab" and hit space to select it. I'll change it a little so the cursor shows ;)