Help !!

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

Stormycloud
Non-Subscriber

Help !!

Post by Stormycloud » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:13 pm

Hiya, I'm currently running into a little snag with my system, I was running 1 Gig of PC3200 400mhz Cas3.0 Memory in my system which restarted at random points of using my computer.. I was told if I downgraded my ram to PC2700 I wouldn't have this problem so I bought 1 GIG PC2700/2100 Ram and put it in now it's still restarting at random.. I had 512 (2X256) PC2100 RAM in my system and it ran Flawless.. Now for a few specs on my computer

Gigabyte Board Model GA-K8VT800M
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
3 Choices on RAM 1 Gig PC3200 1 Gig PC2700 512 PC2100 (2100 512 only thing that works good atm)
Gainward Geforce FX5900XT 256MB Graphics Card
Soundblaster Audigy ZS Gamer
450 Watt Power Supply
DVD RRW
DVD ROM

Cooling is not an issue Running between 32Deg C and 34
I've updated my graphics Card Drivers last one for my card was APril 1st 2004
I've Set it so Windows auto's my Virtual Memory and I've also had it set so my Virt memory was 40Gig's makes no difference

Seems to happen when I'm doing more than one thing

Any Information would be appreciated Thanks

Stormycloud
Non-Subscriber

Post by Stormycloud » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:25 pm

Version of Windows is WINDOWS XP HOME All updates are installed...

Also with winxp there's nothing i have to do to optimize it to use 1 gig of ram right?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:28 pm

Does it happen when running multiple EQ sessions? I would turn on the memory indicator feature and keep an eye on your available RAM. I have a Gigabyte board and while testing a GeForce video card, I was able to make the system blue screen by depleting my physical system RAM and physical video RAM, and having available AGP memory. Because AGP memory relies on physical system RAM being free, and none was free, the system blue screened/restarted.

If that's not the issue, I would make sure you have the latest BIOS, latest VIA chipset drivers (my best guess), latest SATA drivers, and so on.

And no, Windows XP home and pro both should handle your RAM just fine

Stormycloud
Non-Subscriber

Post by Stormycloud » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:35 pm

aiighty has happened with 1 and 2 Wineq's it's really random.. As far as turning on the memory indicator how do I do that I'm a momo btw ;) haha Also I've been very iffy about doing anything with the bios because I really don't wanna mess my computer up.. Don't you have to FLASH the bios which if done wrong can disable your entire computer?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:52 pm

Yes, and its probably not a bios issue. My best guess is the VIA chipset drivers, or SATA drivers if you're using SATA drives

msboy1
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by msboy1 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:25 am

Could it be just bad memory? Does this only happen with EQ or when running other multiple programs as well?

Have you tried running memory load tests after installing the memory to be sure that the memory is not bad?

-Mississippi Boy

Stormycloud
Non-Subscriber

Post by Stormycloud » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:11 am

Yeah tests run not bad memory, And happens the most with EQ. Took my gig back out and put my 512 PC2100 back in and have no problems at alll.

Updated the VIA Chipset drivers, and SATA Drivers. and still had no luck.. They don't have a "Update Bios Feature that does it for ya" They give ya a file to download and do it.. And I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. There's like 4 ways to update my bios lol and when I go into my Bios screen it says Qflash, Which is one of the options, When I follow the instructions on the web on how to do that it doesn't do jack. /shrug so I dunno what else to do.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:23 am

You may need to take it to a local computer shop and ask them to do it if you can't figure it out. They will charge you, but if it solves the problem it's probably worth it. I used to do it for people all the time when I worked as a computer tech at a computer store. It's kind of difficult to guide you through it especially over the internet, sorry I can't be of more help in this particular case :(