question and comment

General discussions

Moderator: Lavish Software Team

Malacious
Non-Subscriber

question and comment

Post by Malacious » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:06 am

Is it not illegal to sell 3rd party programs for EQ? I know I read something like there somewhere along the 4 years I been playing. I know that using any 3rd party program is really against their rules, but selling is it IS VERY much against them.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:48 am

No. There are "rules of conduct" that state that it is not proper to distribute EQ utilities without permission from SOE (does not say anything about selling them vs free). However, SOE does not give such permission and as I have been told in the past, SOE "is not a business of evaluating peoples software". Therefore, I did not have permission to distribute EQWatcher, just as Thulie does not have permission to distribute YALP, just as Jelan does not have permission to do Magelo, just as Kerasota did not have permission to do the Lucy updater (which Allakhazam now owns), and so on. We're just a bunch of rule breaking software developers ;)

Here's a link to these rules of conduct: http://eqlive.station.sony.com/support/ ... onduct.jsp

And here is the rule:
14. You will not create, use or provide any server emulator or other site where EverQuest may be played, and you will not post or distribute any utilities, emulators or other software tools related to EverQuest without the express written permission of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

Also note that my account is active, and my name and picture are shown on the about page. Have fun :)

Gavo
Non-Subscriber

Post by Gavo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Isn't also illegal to create WinEQ under the GPL and then all of a sudden yank it and start charging money for it? Great job making a good piece of software then disabling a crap load of features. I don't see how you can make this software under the GPL and charge money for its use. That seems very illegal.

Krehldar
GamingTools Subscriber

Hmmm....

Post by Krehldar » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:53 pm

Seems someone wants something for nothing? Actually if you want to really think about it, the software isn't what you're really paying for as much as all the endless under appreciated and hard work that goes into keeping it up to date and working for all, those that pay little or nothing for something in my exprience are always the ones that complain the most and no matter what are never satisfied. The support you get with this software is beyond and above any other software you go to the store and buy for $100's or more dollars so why gripe over$10-$20??

Gavo
Non-Subscriber

Post by Gavo » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:19 pm

You still didn't address the issue of creating software under an open source / no profit agreement then charging for it. If you think I'm under appreciating the effort put into the software by not dishing out money for it then it most likely should not have been created under the GPL. I'm not saying you didn't put hard work into it. What I'm saying is WinEQ was supposed to be a great utility to multitask EQ with other things. As soon as it became popular it was gimped and a price tag was attached. That to me seems like a very deceptive and malicious act.

As far as support goes I don't know what kind of huge support is needed. You install the utility use it, and if it stops working with a new eq update you hope it gets fixed (which is usually done the day of the patch). How indepth of support is required? 24 email support for those that can't double click the install file and then start the program have some place to turn?

If $10 - $20 isn't worth griping over is it worth alienating a user base over? It seems like enough of a deal for WinEQ to be on a pay to use basis. Paying for support is one thing (eg. Linux distributions). But forcing users to pay for the simple operation of the program is different.

WarDave
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by WarDave » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:33 pm

Well if you dont like it go use EQW and quit whinning. I dont understand if people dont like something they have start bitching about it. Just solve the problem and move on with your life.

Krehldar
GamingTools Subscriber

Missing the point.......

Post by Krehldar » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:07 pm

If I'm not mistaken, as I haven't used them since the change, eqpnlite works just no indicator, wineq works lets you run more than one instance just lacks the extra's such as dual monitor support, and the larger flexability that the lite version does, so hence you can use both of the lite programs without paying and play more than one instance of eq, if you want the added niceties and support, and yes with the extra's other bugs will pop up with system video card compatability issues as well as is it the program causing the problem or my system causing the problem type support. Now, if the lite version are GPL or the older (Beta) versions were GPL then get the source and write it for your own needs. Not flaming or griping just having a difficult time understanding your position is all. I may be wrong about the lite version like I said I haven't used them as I had donated before the change so never had need to use them. Then there's that issue, had more folks donated before the pro version then we most likely wouldn't be having this discussion :-)
Not sure of Lax's stand on this as he is the one doing it but from a users point of view I'm just missing your point I guess.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:41 am

1) WinEQ was never released under GPL
2) WinEQ was in beta and was free, and is no longer in beta or 100% free
3) You can say thank you to me for letting you use the beta for free

4) Older EQPlayNice versions were GPL
5) I own the copyright to EQPlayNice
6) I removed newer EQPlayNice from GPL

You're more than welcome to use the free versions of WinEQ, or even use EQWindows. If you feel "alienated" because the author of software decides to charge for his services, I think you have more important things to worry about. WinEQ was available freely because donors unlike yourself supported the project, not because I got anything out of it personally. I have not played the game since 2003, and I have much better things to do than read flames like this one from someone I have no interest in knowing, and who has no interest in knowing me. If you don't feel that software should be continually developed, or supported, then fine. The service offered here does not include software that is not developed and not supported.

Finally, the "simple operation" of the software is 100% free. The "complex operation" is not :) Good luck, locking thread.