Feature Set

Fury Lite discussion

Moderators: Lavish Software Team, Moderators

mdar
GamingTools Subscriber

Feature Set

Post by mdar » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:09 pm

So what kind of feature set are we going to see in Fury, and what kind of things will be delegated to Lite vs Pro?

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:18 pm

I have yet to really sit down and determine this, but here's the information I put up at EQWatcher.com
Fury will use Lax/Blech as its parsing engine (which is based on EQWatcher's parsing engine), which is open source and found within MacroQuest 2 at http://macroquest.sourceforge.net. Fury will be much more C/C++ plugin-driven than EQWatcher, which will allow for a much wider range of information tracking, and abilities. For example, allowing spreadsheet-style tables for damage tracking the way you expect from offline log parsers. Fury also will be able to track multiple game sessions with much less effort than EQWatcher. Although the main system will be closed source, most plugins will be open source with full access to the program's features. This will allow Fury to be used for games other than EverQuest without my personal blessing.

Fury will be a commercial product, bundled with EQPlayNice and WinEQ in the MMOTools suite. Basic usage and features will be free, but with a MMOTools subscription you will be able to use full features.
Anyone familiar with EQWatcher should know that EQWatcher was super-customizable, skinnable, programmable by others, supported Text-to-Speech, supported databases, lots of other fun stuff... Areas it lacked in included visual reporting, although people worked around that and set up reports via the in-game storyline system. Anyway, Fury is one or two generations past EQWatcher. You can expect Fury to provide anything you can get currently with, say, EQWatcher, EQCompanion, or Yalp, and more. Fury will be the most game-independent parser, with little effort to use for EQ2, World of Warcraft, etc.

I will determine a more complete feature set and which ones will be delegated between Pro/Lite soon.

jwaterman
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by jwaterman » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:57 pm

I was a big fan of EQWatcher. I'm not sure if you are planning to make Fury a subset of EQWatcher, a superset, or somewhere in between, but I'll give you my feedback on what I liked/disliked about the product.

1) Timing buffs/debuffs (so you can redo them before they expire).
2) Sound/Voice Alerts of events (like enrage, someones DI going off, etc)
3) Didn't poke into EQ itself or do any direct mods to eq (basically parsed log file), so Sony was not likely to get hyper about it.
4) Realtime dps parsing
5) Links into databases (I found the lucy-like spell info access to be useful)...although an actual link to lucy over the inet would have owned.
6) Class specific goodies (like for rogues a sound when evade popped, backstab was ready, escape popped, discs were ready)

Dislikes
---------
1) Dps tracking was ok, but was certainly no replacement for EQCompanion type functionality.
2) Lazy factor - had to load it up before launching eq and wasn't integrated into the UI so you had to switch to it from EQ to make any mods to its operation.

Really looking forward to see what the product ends up being. Would love to be able to not miss eqwatcher and toss eqcompanion.

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:12 pm

Fury will be the be-all-end-all MMO log perser ;)

You could type your commands using /note from in-game so im not sure what you meant by that. DPS tracking could have been done better, by anyone that wanted to write the functionality... just nobody ever did. That's what was frustrating about EQWatcher in comparison to MacroQuest. Because it's not a cheater program, nobody wants to write mods for it. But, if it was a cheater program, 2000 people instantly would be writing mods for it.

Anyway, Fury will be very extensible and rely heavily on plugins, with an open API. It will be good. :)

mdar
GamingTools Subscriber

Post by mdar » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:15 pm

Unlikely, but have to ask... how compatible will eqwatcher scripts be with Fury?

Not compatible at all - total rewrite required
Partially compatible - structurally the same but lots of commands changed
Very compatible - Most structure/commands are the same, some different/altered
Perfectly - no alterations needed (although benefits to using new stuff is available)

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:53 pm

Something I havent yet considered. I can probably have a plugin handle old EQWatcher compiled scripts. The system for Fury will be a) C/C++ plugins for most stuff and b) intepreted script system. Compiled scripts wont be necessary and Fury won't have the inherent limitations EQWatcher had.

Krehldar
GamingTools Subscriber

Outstanding!

Post by Krehldar » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

I love eqwatcher for it's speech, I have used some other things on it but really like it, I am in great expectations of something better. An easier to use program that doesn't require compilation and such for extra features is to much to ask for :-). Unforturnately my mind isn't what it was 3 years ago so sometimes having to tweak things is alot more troublesome than it's worth, so hearing this lifts my spirits greatly

kerosh
Non-Subscriber

Post by kerosh » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:41 am

hi there Lax.

i'm currently playing on the french localized server "sebilis". do you know if Fury will work with the different localized versions of everquest (german and french) ?

do you need us to send you some of the localized files ?
will we have to write our "localized" plug-in ?

anyways : you are a goddamn good coder and i can only bow to you and thank for your different works.
kerosh

Lax
Owner

Post by Lax » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:51 am

Thank you :)

Fury should be compatible with the localized servers. I will plan on making it relatively easy to use the eqstr_??.txt files.

kerosh
Non-Subscriber

Post by kerosh » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:15 am

\o/

hurray to you Lax ! :D
kerosh