NVIDIA Crash/Black Screen Problem: Cause Identified

Announcements from the Lavish Software team
Lax
Owner

NVIDIA Crash/Black Screen Problem: Cause Identified

Post by Lax » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:49 am

Testing indicates that EverQuest's "VertexShaders" option, found in the Advanced display options inside EQ, causes problems when turned OFF. We experienced both BSOD (aka "reboot", you may not see the blue screen depending on your Windows settings) as well as black screen (with the log indicating a driver failure) with this OFF. With the option ON, we experienced no problems. Testing was done with 2 characters in PLANE OF TRANQUILITY, and problem was experienced within 2-3 minutes. NOTE: EQ must be restarted after changing the option for it to take effect.

If anyone would like to duplicate our tests and confirm our results please post on our forums AND on the EQ Live tech support forum.

Apparently, people turn VertexShaders off to reduce lag in Omens of War. Unfortunately it is a double-edged sword for NVIDIA multiboxers!

Confirmation count
Confirm: 12
Contradict: 1

Update: WinEQ has been updated this morning (10/11/2004) with a warning and option to fix the problem for NVIDIA card users.
Next Update: I have been notified that Rowyl is aware of our findings and he says there has been a lot of changes to the graphics engine since the last patch. This needs to be tested on the test server to determine if the problem currently exists in their newest codebase. ** As of 10/13/2004 I have confirmed that this problem does still exist and that the above solution is still valid.

SOE: Please get me a developer that I can contact via e-mail about this issue and/or other issues that may arise later that I might end up having information on as well